This morning on the church website I found this:
Watching it totally brought back exactly how I felt when Dad lost his job in Phoenix. At first I was absolutely terrified and so afraid. It felt like the bottom of our whole world had dropped out and we were working without a net! But we were okay because we worked together as a family and we had our food storage and paid our tithing. We were so blessed that were able to sustain ourselves, pay our bills and not have to rely on the gov't or the church for help because we were prepared.
Do you all remember how Britta and I delivered that shopper paper while Clairice babysat Eric and Jessie so I could do that? Oh gosh - it was scary sometimes and it was hard, but Britta and I had a lot of fun together inspite of it and Reesy was a better babysitter than any of the older teenage girls we had come. Brit, you had to lay on top of the papers in the back seat the car was so full! You were only 10 or 11 Rees! You guys were just little kids but Dad and I relied so much on you and you all came through! Kids can do amazing things if we let them!
Eric, do you remember going to Kathy Spargo's with me to play while I helped her with her crazy dog chew business? She and her husband were a godsend to let me come work with them when we needed cash. Dad worked off and on for Larry Turley and his software business and did odd jobs whenever they came around until he got a job.
Remember how much fun we had at Christmas making our own wrapping paper and gifts for our family all without hardly spending any money?
I feel so much love for all of you when I think about this. It was one of the worst times in our family but so much good came out of it and I believe it did because we tried hard to keep the commandments - pay our tithing, have our food storage, stay out of debt as much as possible. I NEVER want to go through that again and I hope none of you ever has to either, but we all know stuff happens that we can't foresee and the Lord gives us counsel and guidance to help us prepare when these things happen.
I love you all very much and hope that putting money away for a rainy day and working on getting your food storage will be a part of your plan for this coming year.
Can't wait to see you all in about a month! Yay!
have a great weekend.
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment