Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Fiddler, not exactly on the roof

I would like to start by congratulating my older sister on her recent success as a violinist/fiddler. Aw heck, lets just call her a fiddler because, let's face it, it's a much cooler title than violinist (very bourgeoisie) and who doesn't want to say they have a fiddler in the family. We really are from Montana....

The afternoon was filled with anticipation as I waited for Reese to stand up and display her musical prowess. The recital began with the youngest of the young students who apparently had to pass off their "twinkle" song. This consisted of twelve or so small children getting up one at a time to play the same version of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" in a rather screechy, squeaky, nails-on-a-chalkboard kind of way. (I would like to take this time to formally appologize to my parents for having ever been a small child playing a stringed instrument, you are magnanimous.) Then the older students (and by older I mean aged 8-88...ish) stood up to play songs in a group. This is when my beautiful and talented sister rose and, dare I say, glided up to the stage to take her place among the other students. They began with a true classic, a song that has withstood the test of time to be know throughout the ages and beloved by all, you guessed it folks...."Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." If I never hear that song again for the rest of my life, it will be too soon. I may one day have the only children who have never heard of a twinkling little star and will probably be teased by the rest of their kindergarten classes, but I will not relent!

Their next few songs were similar musical masterpieces such as "Old McDonald" and "Mary Had a Little Lamb." But I must admit that I am impressed that Reese was able to keep up with all those kids, and the few adults. Then they played some other great fiddling songs that I don't really know the names to. All the while she was delighting us with her enchanting music Eric and Karen were playing the parts of overly excited parents at their child's first recital. They were busy pointing and smiling and taking copious amounts of pictures and even video. (I hope you post all of those here Eric!)

Really though, Reese was magnificent! I'm so proud of her for starting up the violin again and actually participating in a recital...I don't know if I would. So I just wanted to take this time to brag a little for her (you are definitely more than welcome to do so yourself Reese) and let you all know that she is definitely working on goals and achieving them! Three cheers for Clairice!!! I hope you get to play your fiddle on top of a builing in a movie some day...

2 comments:

Kristine said...

I told you you were funny! I laughed out LOUD! You really should go to a writing group Brit!
Love you,'
Mom

Britta said...

Aren't mothers the best for support! Love you!